Downloading Xcode Without Using the Mac App Store

May 11th, 2012

Filed under: Xcode | 11 comments

I have read many posts on Apple’s free developer forums from people having problems downloading and installing Xcode from the App Store. If you are having similar problems, there is an alternative to using the App Store. You can download Xcode from the following URL:

You can also use this URL to download older versions of Xcode.

If you don’t have an ADC account, you will need to sign up for one to download Xcode from the URL I listed. You can get an ADC account for free.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail

Tags:

11 thoughts on “Downloading Xcode Without Using the Mac App Store

1. mgoetz says:

Thanks!
    It was annoying to not be able to update XCode without giving my credit card information.

2. richb says:

Er, the first thing that pops up when hitting the developer.apple.com URL is this:

“Sign in with your Apple ID”.

I got locked out of my Apple ID so that’s why I was trying to bypass the App Store.

3. Mark Szymczyk says:

Rich,

You need an Apple developer account to download from Apple’s developer site. The point of the blog post was to provide an alternative for people who were having problems downloading and installing Xcode from the App Store, not to provide an alternative to needing an Apple ID.

If you can’t use your Apple ID, click the Register button to sign up for a new ID so you can download Xcode.

4. Jaiden Cohen says:

THANKS SO MUCH

5. EM says:

I find it repugnant in the extreme that apple demands my personal information.
    Does Xcode need my email? no
    Does Xcode need anything at all about me to function? no.

Of course, this is yet another data harvesting approach by apple, to garner information about people.

Apple are, in fact, evil. there is no reason i need to tell apple anything about me, to run the software I already purchased, on a computer I already bought from them.

It’s invasive, annoying, inane and blatantly “big brother”.

Next ill need to tell breville the my shoe size before i can use the “on” switch on my sandwich maker.

6. Max says:

pow as long as you have an apple dev licence you can get it here https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action?name=Xcode#

7. RS says:

@EM: you don’t need XCode to “run the software you already purchased”. In fact, you don’t need it all.

Of course, if you *choose* to do so, then you have to abide by the author’s requirements, just like any other piece of software.

Vote with your feet, and don’t use it if you don’t like the restrictions!

8. shimon says:

it was stupid:
    click verify billing info
    select none
    click update
    xcode downloads…
    i have signed up to
    maybe it is relevant

9. it was very helpful.

10. Dude says:

Thank you thank you thank you! I really hate the app store sometimes.

11. pm says:

I complely agree to EM.
    There’s no need for Apple to acquire that information.
    And no: sometimes you don’t have a choice, if your employer asks you to use a certain system.